
I actually made it out to the Portobello West Fashion Market today at the Rocky Mountaineer Railway Station. *On a side rant I was trapped downtown because of the Santa Clause Parade. I think the parade is great but they made no attempt to let people get across the street so I was totally cut off from the Skytrain. Myself and about 15 other people made a made dash at Georgia and Burrard only to get cut off by the people on the other side not moving out of the way to let us in and actually complaining that we were blocking the view. Move people!! Ok enough of that...it almost made me give up and go home but I had my goal to get to the market. I got off at Main Station and hopped the free shuttle bus just in time. It's actually a shuttle 12 passenger van but a ride none the less. I hadn't been to the market at the Rocky Mountaineer Station before. I was pleasantly surprised. The market was super busy lots of hustle and bustle. The vendors neatly organized and laid out. Free admission as well. I wandered around coffee in hand which quickly proved to be an annoyance. You defiantly need to be hands free so you can pick things up and have a good boo. The market is more of handmade/crafted wares the majority of it jewellery. Beautiful unique pieces, some of it sold at local Main Street and Gastown stores. Nothing is cheap and imported for the exception of some jewellery from Thailand...which isn't cheap. There's too many vendors to mention them all so I'll point out my top 3 picks:
1. Ayala Moriel Perfume
Wonderful scents handcrafted from pure and botanical essences. Check out the website to browse all the amazing combinations. I picked up a sample vile of Film Noir $6. It's a warm and sensual chocolaty spice.
2. Roberto Fioravanti Jewellery
Wonderfully weighty textured silver pieces completely unique. Stand out are chunky silver bands that start out as a ball of silver. Roberto hammers, pounds and manipulates the material to produce a one of a kind piece.
3. Lace Embrace Atelier
Sexy hot custom made corsets....I've always wanted one. A girly feminine boudoir booth that makes you feel relaxed browsing through the portfolio of designs. Contact Melanie at info@lacembrace.com for custom orders, shop online or check out the website for local retailers.
Honorably mentions Mindan Gunther Moore
You probably recognize this line of jewllery from around local shops. I've always admired the jewllery and today I bought a small piece of it. A lovely delicate thin band of silver that for some reason really spoke to me. When it comes to rings it's one end of the spectrum to another. I usually go big and bold or tiny and dainty. This one is tiny and dainty and I love it.
I personally would love to see more vintage clothing booths. I did see one, I admired the electric blue leather oversized clutch...but decided to go for the ring instead. All in all a nice way to spend a sunny Sunday afternoon, let the Santa Parade crowds fight it out downtown I'll just take my time on the way home.
No comments:
Post a Comment