Sunday, February 15, 2009

"I have a handle on the situation." - David Roby






I received 2 little but fantastic books for my bday. One on the history of handbags properly titled "HANDBAGS, The Power of the Purse" by Anna Johnson and the other on shoes properly titled "SHOES" by Linda O'Keeffe. Both available at Chapters.ca. Not just to be flipped through and ohhhed and ahhhed over you and to sit on your book shelf I'm making a point to read them. I started in on the handbag book, and it's absolutely fascinating. Did you know the that iconic chain strap Chanel bag came about after the war, leather was scarce so Coco whipped the weighted gilt chains out of the hems of her suits and fashioned them into the shoulder straps of her famous quilted 2/1955 bag which is bluntly named after the number of it's birth date: 2/1955. It only gained popularity after Karl Lagerfiled jazzed it up on the 80s. Lagerfield flattened the chain slapped a massive interlocking-Cs logo on the front and worked it in all sizes from a cigarette case to a tote. Oh Karl you're my hero. This particular Chanel bag also happens to be my fantasy hand bag that I will own one day!

No comments: