Saturday, January 10, 2009

tried, tested and true

The state of the economy is on everyone's lips these days, and so is cheap makeup. I'm one of those people who can justify spending $24 on a tube of the latest and greatest shade. I'm a sucker for cute packaging and promises of the perfect complexion. But in this current economic climate most people will be heading to the local drug store to buy beauty products. I thought I would test a few of the products that were recommended on whowhatweardaily.com to really see if they compete with my the higher price brands. First up I tried CoverGirls Lipstain in Wild Berry Wink. It was really fun drawing it on my lips with the marker tip applicator...but it quickly proved to be a little uneven with even the slightest dry spots on my lips soaking up more colour. I found a better, more even application if you mixed it with a little chap stick...then it was the perfect bitten berry look. All in all not bad.
The second product I purchased was Maybelline Dream Mouse Blush in Pink Frosting. I've been using Benetint for 3 years now...only because a small bottle literally lasts you years (see justification for the price!). I apply it with a foundation brush for more of an airbrush look. It's very soft and pretty with a slight shimmer. It's actually really nice paired with Benetint. All in all I'm using it as my daily blush...but I don't think it's going to last me 3 years!

When it come to budgeting for cosmetics I say save the big money for the products that really matter like a good foundation and mascara and skimp on the other stuff. It's really beautiful skin that makes the most impact.

No comments: