Saturday, July 5, 2008

umbrellas day in the sun





While strolling around this city this not so fine summer I've made a few observations regarding summer fashion choices. I've seen a huge increase in the number of sun umbrellas or parasols being toted around when the sun finally decides to shine. Lovely porcelain skinned ladies shading their skin and demonstrating that pale really is the new tan. In this day and age of sun scare or care it's a practical way of blocking those mean UV rays. I particularly like the paper Asian variety that can be found in stores in China town....although for optimal protection a sun umbrella specially coated with a UV blocker is recommended.

I know that black tights worn with jean cut offs shorts (a la Lindsay Lohan) was a trend we saw last fall, but does this look translate to the warm summer months? I can understand maybe on the colder rainy days we've been experiencing here but when the sun is out in full force it seems a little much. Ladies just aren't willing to give up their tights quite yet.
I also wanted to comment on the subject of beach attire (bikinis, shirtless men, beach cover ups, sarongs) and where it's appropriate off the beach. I live very close to major beach destination in the city. I believe there is an invisible boarder. If your on the sidewalk off the beach, or you can no longer see the ocean please cover up, and wearing a bikini to eat at a restaurant a block away is not appropriate. Yes I've seen it.

Happy summer.

No comments: