Thursday, June 19, 2008

10 speed bike is the new beach cruiser


My bf and I made an observation while strolling around the seawall the other day. The old dare I say "vintage" 10 speed bikes are now replacing the beach cruiser in popularity among the young and hip. Maybe this has been cool for awhile now? I solely rely on my feet and public transport to get around the city. The Sartorialist has been snapping pictures of lovely fashionable people young and old on bikes for ages, it's been a favorite subject for many a street style photographers. There's a whole fashion blogging community based around bikes and the people who ride them. Copenhagen Cycle Chic, Girls and Bicycles (Edmonton), London Cycle Chic, Montreal Cykler just to name a few. There's just something so classic and cool about a style savvy person riding a bike. I've been thinking lately of getting my bike out from the depths of our building storage and pumping up the tires....but I'm afraid I won't look very hip riding a mountain bike or maybe I'll just start a new trend? The mountain bike is the new 10 speed? I guess it doesn't really matter what bike you ride it's the personal style you bring when riding it.

1 comment:

kimmont said...

Hi there,
My name is Kim Montgomery. I recently came across your blog and i think its super cute! I'm currently on the prowl for my own "Easy Rider" on craigslist... the pics you've got of peeps riding around town on their bikes makes me wish my last one wasn't stolen :(

Anyways, the reason I'm writing is, I work for Matchstick Marketing, a hip market-research/ promotions company that spreads "word-of-mouth" marketing for our various clients. The campaign I'm currently working on is looking for young, chic, fashionistas like yourself! Most importantly, I'm on the hunt for women who write popular blogs that discuss topics like fashion, health & beauty and savvy current events, with the hopes that they'd be willing to participate in a short study about feminine beauty & hygiene products.

The survey wouldn't take too much of your time. I'd love to get the chance to connect with you and get your valuable feedback!

Please feel free to email me at kim@matchstick.ca and you can let me know if you're interested in participating in the study and how best to get in contact with you!

Thanks in advance,
Kim