Sunday, August 26, 2007

H&M is a Bust



The much anticipated and hyped H&M opened Thursday but because of my busy work schedule I couldn't make it out until today. I did a little happy dance this morning in great anticipation of the wonderful clothes that would be awaiting me in the far away land of Coquitlam. My friend and I parted ways at the stores front door, he looked down at his watch and said I had hour and half not bad I thought. Then I saw the crowds of people the insane lineups jeez would that be enough time?

The first thing I spied was a great faux leather fitted bomber jacket for $59 but upon further inspection it was very obviously faux and not so great. Further into the racks more disappointment. Blah here blah there. Then I can across a selection of very cute sweater dresses I picked up dark purple. Hmmmm purple jeans? Would I have time to try them on? I put them in my pile. Looks like I made it there just a little to late the few pieces of any originality only had sizes 14 and 16 left. I managed to pick up a dark grey long cardigan sweater with a one button closure and tie. To my surprise a size 6...someone must have returned it. Most of the good stuff was sold out. I was sure I would find the coloured tights from on the display in the window ZIP, ZILCH, ZERO. My time was running out it was crunch time and judging by the line up for the fitting room I wasn't going to have time to try on the jeans. I found a spot by a mirror and slipped on the sweater dress ($24.90) over what I was wearing. Looked good, same with the cardigan ($39.90). Off to the cash register for about a 15 minute wait. Not bad. I had to buy something plus I had a 15% off coupon that can be found in the H&M magazine...where you get that magazine I do not know....I found the one I read in a doctor's waiting room.

Would I have bought the stuff if it wasn't in H&M, and I didn't beg my friend to drive me out there? The sweater dress for sure at $24.90 you can't beat that price. All in all I feel a bit disappointed. I was hoping for a little bit more originality. I can honestly say most of the items can be bought at any store in the mall. Maybe the downtown store that is scheduled to open this spring will carry the designer collections so wildly coveted but I can wait until then to visit H&M again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i feel you! it was the same when i was there. nothing but disappointment. all i bought were those little red oxford tennis shoes and a striped hoodie for my hubby.

don't worry, apparently they change their stock ridiculously often so the next time you're there it'll be a totally different store!

thanks for the link and back atcha! yay vancouver!

cherie said...

Thanks for your feedback! I'm sure I will be back soon to check out the new stock. I can't wait for the downtown store to open!!